Saundrie

After much prodding by other bloggers, I set this up for my own writings. The name is in honour of the two women that mentored me throughout my life on politics and intelligence issues, as well as being wonderful family members, now alas deceased. I hope to live up to their standards at this site.

Monday, January 23, 2006

And now we watch and see what happens next

Well, it is election night, and we get to see just how well the CPC stealth campaign was successful with the average voter in this country. With a campaign clearly intended to present an image of the CPC, its leader, and its political agenda at odds with all the party and its leadership have stood for since not just the birth of the CPC but way back to Reform, the gagging of all the more social conservative candidates from the media and even the voters themselves to prevent any questioning of that part of the CPC agenda (which got little notice, and the silence from the various social conservative groups is suspicious since ordinarily they would be vocal about their lack of representation in the election debate/discourse), and the clear pandering to Quebec voters with the increased international representation for the Province as well as the so called fiscal deficit, we have seen one of the most deceptive campaigns in modern Canadian political history. Not to mention their trumpeting their economic platform as certified by the Canadian Chamber of Commerce only to have their qualified by the man that did the assessment since it was missing two rather expensive CPC campaign promises, to wit the so called fiscal deficit and the health plan aspect transporting people to far away from home places for medical services, both expected to cost billions with the former into the tens of billions being quite possible.

It will be very interesting to see just how vocal the social conservative component of the CPC caucus and base becomes after a CPC win. Although I would expect it to be very loud in the event of a majority, even in a minority I suspect it will nto be long before we start hearing about their plans as MPs and as a part of the government that was not mentioned at all throughout the campaign because of that muzzling. I also will be watching to see how much of the CPC that was presented to the electorate for this election exists afterwards, and how much the CPC that existed prior to this campaign (along with Harper's decades held political views that suddenly transformed dramatically for this campaign) shows up after the votes are counted.

Incidentally, for anyone that was curious, my CPC candidate never got back to me. Got to love that tendency of CPC candidates to promise something and then fail to follow through on it. Remember, this man made this promise entirely of his own choice, I did not ask it, suggest it or anything. He was the one that was being so earnest in his claim that he felt I deserved an answer, and since he counld not do so he had to ask head office and that he would do so and get back to me. He had my number, and he clearly had my address since it was at my door, and he never bothered to even call and tell me he had nothing else he could tell me. He made the big deal of accountability being paramount in the CPC, and that of course he and his party would answer my concerns. I really hate people that make promises that they are not going to keep. I wonder if he did that knowing at the outset he was not going to keep it, or was the response to his asking such that it dissuaded him from responding because then he would have had to knowingly lie to me. I honestly have no idea. What I do know is that he made a serious committment to a constituent he was trying to win over, made a promise to obtain specific information and then inform the constituent of the answer(s), and he did not. Not even from a staffer, nothing. One is left wondering just how extensive the CPC apparant willingness to promise whatever they think the voter wants to hear in this election is not just at the top but all throughout the party. If so, it is a very sad but not entirely unexpected reality given how this party was created and the clear choice of expediency for the sake of power over any actual committment to principles this campaign was run with from that leadership and especially one Mr. S. Harper.

In closing, I am saddened that I was unable to participate so little in this campaign, but unfortunately my health was not very good, especially through the post Christmas period. Aside from a little commenting at a few blogs I really wasn't able to do much more, which is why this blog has laid dormant for so long. I hope that will not continue to be the case, but unfortunately my health and my wife come before my blog. Since I am not some kind of paid political operative (contrary to the belief of many CPC online supporters) this is something I have limited resources to be doing, especially when my health nosedives. Well, with luck things will improve. Well, the polls have just closed in my region, so now the wait is almost over. I leave now to watch the results as they come in, and to see how my fellow Canadian voters did in recognizing the risk of the CPC, the dishonesty of their campaign this time out versus the understandable desire for change after a dozen years, despite the reality that Canada is in better shape in fundamental economic elements than it has been in years. Will the baby be thrown out with the bathwater or not? We know how I hope, but unless the polls missed something it does seem most probable that a CPC minority is what this night will end up being the case, unfortunately.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You leftard trolls are always entertaining with your bizarre look at reality.

Haha.

Ron The Neocon

Fri Jan 27, 01:30:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home