Saundrie

After much prodding by other bloggers, I set this up for my own writings. The name is in honour of the two women that mentored me throughout my life on politics and intelligence issues, as well as being wonderful family members, now alas deceased. I hope to live up to their standards at this site.

Monday, November 21, 2005

The Opposition tries to eat it's cake and have it

For the last two weeks now I have been listening to the NDP claim that their compromise to avoid a Christmas election campaign is credible. Now the Bloc Quebecois and the CPC have also signed onto this rhetoric claiming this means then if Martin does not agree with them that it is his and his responsibility alone for the election campaign over Christmas. One slight problem. It is complete and utter fiction. No government in a Parliamentary system of governance could accept this notion. The most basic component of how a Parliamentary system works is the issue of confidence. Confidence is defined by the ability to pass money bills as well as surviving votes of non-confidence moved by the Opposition. We all got a reminder of what confidence meant last spring when the CPC started attaching to committees amendments claiming to be non-confidence motions passed by the House and therefore the government must fall. This was rightly shown to be utter nonsense.

Now we have the various Opposition parties claiming that they will pass a motion of delayed non-confidence. In effect this is saying we have no confidence in the government yet we are willing to allow it to govern for several more weeks including passing money bills in that period. That debases and damages the very notion of what confidence means on our Parliamentary system. This has been corroborated by experts in Parliamentary process and precedents. For Martin to accept this as valid would be to create a new precedent regarding confidence with the effect of undermining the very concept of what a confidence motion is. In other words this affects one of the most basic principles upon which our system of government works. No PM could accept such a notion as valid, not and respect the very process/system of government Canada operates under.

What is really offensive about all of this to me though is that Jack Layton either understands this and is playing politics while claiming to be advancing a workable "compromise", or after all this time still does not understand the basic principles upon which Parliament operates. So Jack Layton has proven himself out to be either incompetent or to be just another political weasel, despite all the claims to the contrary about how Jack is the only honest man in a den of thieves. What is ironic to me though is that until this matter came up I thought Layton had done remarkably well in positioning his party as a credible alternative to the Liberals and the CPC. His actions in the spring showed his flexibility, and his consistency regarding issues and not playing the more typical partisan political games the CPC and BQ were playing really showed statesmanship. Now though he reveals that all that notwithstanding he is as much a politician willing to play with the truth and be dishonest as anyone else. He advances a "compromise" that he should know is antithetical to the fundamental principles upon which our government operates. He claims that this is a valid "compromise" despite virtually every constitutional/Parliamentary expert claiming this is not a serious/realistic notion. Yet because this move allows him to bring down the government while positioning himself as not actually being the one doing so he continues on with this as does his party. While this has useful optics, it is also essentially dishonest and duplicitous.

That the CPC and the BQ would sign on to this deception is no shock given how willing they were to redefine confidence motions in the spring. That the NDP appears more concerned with trying to increase their seat representation than they are with honest politics though was I must admit a bit of a shock to me. The Liberals are correct when they say this is nothing more than political games and not a serious proposal. It is also telling that all the Opposition parties have made clear this government has no moral authority to govern in their eyes, yet they are willing to let such a government survive for several weeks all because they would rather not take responsibility for triggering a Christmas campaign. That to my mind is almost the antithesis of political leadership and the courage of one's convictions. If you think you can make the case the Liberals do not have moral authority to govern to the electorate, then do so. Trying to eat your cake and have it like this shows that the idea of a Christmas election with all the potential hazards that could come from such are more worrisome to all the Opposition parties than their supposed outage and clear "conviction" that the Liberals have no moral authority to govern. I will make this clear...if there is a Christmas election called I will lay the blame at the feet of the Opposition parties and refute the idea that this was Martin's idea only because it happens to be the truth.

Incidentally, this rhetoric from the NDP about how Martin and the Liberals cannot compromise has one slight problem with it. We saw differently six months ago with the budget and confidence issues back then. So we know Martin and the Liberals can compromise with the NDP, we saw it recently. So suddenly trying to paint the Liberals as being incapable of compromise also is a bit disingenuous, another strike against the NDP and Layton in their attempt to portray themselves as a party and leader not interested in political gamesmanship and only in making government work. Trying to make a clearly unconstitutional and unprecedented "compromise" regarding what a confidence motion is as being something the Liberals and Martin are unreasonable for rejecting will work with those Canadians that do not understand how their government works. However, for those of us that do understand just how completely idiotic and unfeasible this "compromise" truly is, what we see is what I have just written, political games and disingenuousness being paraded around as honest and reasonable politics. Up to this point/issue Layton had done a very good job of convincing me to consider voting NDP this time out. Not any longer. I don't like having my intelligence insulted, and I do not like being played for ignorant/stupid where my understanding of how our government works. Any party, any leader willing to do so is not one I am comfortable trusting, especially when I have some reservations about other policies advocated by that party and leader.

This "compromise" is anything but, pure and simple. Those that claim it is reasonable either do not understand how Parliament works, or they do not care preferring instead to use dishonesty that looks good for political gains. This is one of my primary issues with the CPC and one of the reasons I oppose their forming a government so strenuously, and now the NDP have shown themselves to be no better. It is maneuvers like this that end up forcing me to consider voting again for the Liberals, and I suspect other Canadians as well. Pity, the NDP and Layton until this idiocy were actually doing very well in convincing me and likely other Canadians to take them seriously as a potential/credible alternative for government.

4 Comments:

Blogger Scott in Montreal said...

I agree with you mostly, but I think you're being a little harsh. Isn't political gamesmanship at the root of any non-confidence motion is this day of strict party-line vote discipline?

I'm trying to piece it all together here: Martin begged-off being thrown out of power already, promising to call a Winter-Spring election, post Gomery. Then of course, his government played some games themselves, gerry-rigging the opposition days so as to leave little choice but to bring about a Christmastime election if they dared try to bring down his government ahead of his schedule.

Also, the about-face by Layton was based (if we take his word for it) on his disappointment with the Libs for not vowing to halt the creep of 2-tier healthcare. And we all know how much jumping up and down both the Chretien and Martin Liberals did about that issue in the previous two campaigns. This is a central Canadian issue; one that I would argue all Canadians have a profound stake in.

So I agree with Layton's timing on pulling his support for this government, but furthermore, I am sympathetic with his fanciful manouvre, based primarily upon the unfortunate timing of the First Nations - First Ministers conference. Disrupting that would carry a higher political price than the namby-pambiness of the proposal he put forth, be it a break with Parliamentary tradition or not. Obviously, there is some confidence in this government, but not full confidence (and I'd bet a majority of Canadians agree with that sentiment too.)

If I were Layton I would've been looking for a creative way out as well. As silly as it may be, I think we all know where he's coming from, and it was just a shot in the dark anyway. I wonder if he didn't just shoot it up the flagpole to try to deflect some of the blame for the timing? Perhaps he assumed the others wouldn't go for it and it would get shot down? Or perhaps he has no respect for the rules and traditions of Parliament?

I doubt that. And I'm not convinced it's that big an issue. We shall see on voting day, eh?

Thu Nov 24, 12:36:00 AM 2005  
Blogger Scott in Montreal said...

I agree with you mostly, but I think you're being a little harsh. Isn't political gamesmanship at the root of any non-confidence motion is this day of strict party-line vote discipline?

I'm trying to piece it all together here: Martin begged-off being thrown out of power already, promising to call a Winter-Spring election, post Gomery. Then of course, his government played some games themselves, gerry-rigging the opposition days so as to leave little choice but to bring about a Christmastime election if they dared try to bring down his government ahead of his schedule.

Also, the about-face by Layton was based (if we take his word for it) on his disappointment with the Libs for not vowing to halt the creep of 2-tier healthcare. And we all know how much jumping up and down both the Chretien and Martin Liberals did about that issue in the previous two campaigns. This is a central Canadian issue; one that I would argue all Canadians have a profound stake in.

So I agree with Layton's timing on pulling his support for this government, but furthermore, I am sympathetic with his fanciful manouvre, based primarily upon the unfortunate timing of the First Nations - First Ministers conference. Disrupting that would carry a higher political price than the namby-pambiness of the proposal he put forth, be it a break with Parliamentary tradition or not. Obviously, there is some confidence in this government, but not full confidence (and I'd bet a majority of Canadians agree with that sentiment too.)

If I were Layton I would've been looking for a creative way out as well. As silly as it may be, I think we all know where he's coming from, and it was just a shot in the dark anyway. I wonder if he didn't just shoot it up the flagpole to try to deflect some of the blame for the timing? Perhaps he assumed the others wouldn't go for it and it would get shot down? Or perhaps he has no respect for the rules and traditions of Parliament?

I doubt that. And I'm not convinced it's that big an issue. We shall see on voting day, eh?

Thu Nov 24, 12:37:00 AM 2005  
Blogger Scott in Montreal said...

oops, sorry for the double-post. Dense of me.

Thu Nov 24, 12:38:00 AM 2005  
Blogger Scotian said...

Scott:

Clearly I disagree. I expect politicians and political leaders to be political opportunists to some extent, it is inherent in the profession. My problem is with Layton presenting a clearly unworkable proposal as a "reasonable compromise" after his rhetoric about the government's lack of moral right to govern painted him into a corner. I expect rhetoric to be something of an exaggeration of fact, but at it's core there must be fact. In this case there is not.

The definition of confidence is not just any Parliamentary principle Scott, it is a core foundation of how our system of government works. To redefine it so that it is no longer clear is a precedent no PM could accept, pure and simple. Layton has been in Parliament long enough that he should understand this, so I am seeing a clear example of Layton lying for political positioning, which really offends me. Indeed, I find this as offensive as I did the faux confidence motions the CPC/BQ were putting forward last spring, except this one is even more bullshit that those ones.

Layton has made a big deal about he is different because he wants to make government work. Well, you are willing to accept that Layton's compromise this time was acceptable, I am not so sure, but since I never actually saw the proposal I do not know for sure. I also find Layton's rhetoric about Liberals unwilling to compromise a bit much given that we spent the spring and summer hearing all about how the Liberals compromised with the NDP for the "better balanced budget". Again, this is inconsistent with reality, and the rhetoric Layton and the NDP was using less than three months ago.

My problem with this move aside from the clear weakening of what confidence means (and it really is trying to be a little bit pregnant with this idea, which really irritates me) is that it shows a clear lack of courage of conviction from a conviction politician and party. If the NDP feel this government has no confidence then they have a clear option, and the responsibility to go with it. What Layton and the rest of the Opposition are trying to do is run away from the responsibility for calling an election they claim is necessary because of the corruption of this government. I find that offensive, especially when they predicate their absolution on what is clearly a bullshit move.

No Scott, if anything I was less harsh in my post than I feel this move warrants. I also find the idea of selling this compromise notion to the public requires assuming that most voters do not understand the most basic aspects of how our government works, and as I mentioned in my post I really get annoyed when I have my intelligence insulted so blatantly. Up until this move that was something I just got from the CPC, with this Layton has joined them in my books, and I am not impressed at all by this.

Incidentally, I have a vested interest in our health care system, seeing as I have a genetic blood disorder with fatal implications, and have for the past 17 years required constant medical coverage/treatment for it. So I am not unaware of the issues there.

Thu Nov 24, 01:24:00 PM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home