Saundrie

After much prodding by other bloggers, I set this up for my own writings. The name is in honour of the two women that mentored me throughout my life on politics and intelligence issues, as well as being wonderful family members, now alas deceased. I hope to live up to their standards at this site.

Friday, September 23, 2005

Bush: The twice unelected President

This is going to be a short entry, I'd rather let the Harper's article speak for itself on this matter. I will add though that it is not the entirety of evidence that there was a massive electoral fraud in the 2004 Presidential election in the USA. I have seen and read much on this subject, and what I have found truly appalls me. Just so it is understood, I have actually counted votes and monitored elections a few times in my life, so I have some idea of the importance of electoral integrity from the position of someone charged with the responsibility of maintaining it. What happened in Ohio and indeed throughout America wherever there was a Diebold machine, indeed any electronic voting system without a fully auditable via paper trail system is a betrayal of all the fundamentals of democracy.

I have believed since the evening of Nov 2 2004 that Bush did not win legitimate reelection. This is not because I dislike him so, it is because of all the massive electoral questionmarks, incuding the reality that about 25% of the total votes cast were completely unverifiable and on electronic systems known to be easily hacked. The lack of transparancy and the unwillingness to allow international observers also was a problem. Then there was the exit polls being so wrong only in America and only regarding President GWB's two elections. When the exit polls are correct down the ballot except from the Presidential vote that alone should raise alarm bells. Though the really hard thing to stomach was after hearing about how the exit polls can be spoofed according to the Bush/Cheney/GOP supporters that a few weeks later these same voices were calling the Ukrainian Presidential elections fraudulent because the Exit Polls had not matched the results.

America and Americans no longer have a democracy. Their votes no longer are counted. The system set up to protect the right of each citizen to have his/her vote counted has been suborned and corrupted beyond recognition. America also no longer has a free press willing to ask tough questions nor to do investigative journalism into these matters preferring instead to ignore all the incredible amount of evidence that something majorly fraudulent occurred in the 2004 Presidential elections. Instead of doing any actual on the ground investigation the American media in an indecent rush completely poo poohed any possiblity that there was tampering. Now why would any honest journalist and journalist organization do so without first verifying the information and the facts on the ground, especially on such an important issue to the health of the American way of life? This is especially true when one considers what happened in the 2000 Presidential elections.

Read the Harpers article and then download the Conyer's report on Ohio, and then see if you can believe just how blatantly the GOP and Bush/Cheney stole a second election secure in the knowledge that they would not be held accountable for it. How else to explain the degree of carelessness in the evidence left behind of tampering and even foreshadowing this result? The GOP is not a political party interested in playing by the rules of American democracy, it wants guaranteed victories, and it is not fussy about how it gets them. This is a real problem even for us Canadians, given that too many in our own conservative movement emulate the tactics and strategies that the GOP has made work for them from the politics of victimization to the myth about the liberal media conspiracy out to destroy all conservatives and the CPC.

Be warned, and be concerned for us all...

3 Comments:

Blogger Ferdzy said...

I hear rumours they are not just getting tactics and strategies from the US right... money too. Don't know how true that is, but it sure sounds grimly plausible.

Fri Sep 23, 07:06:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Scotian said...

I have heard the same, and I have seen some evidence of that with some religious groups. However as yet I have not seen evidence of large scale financial support being delivered, but as the Bush Administration told us about Iraq: "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

Sun Sep 25, 03:40:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Scott in Montreal said...

You write with clarity and vibrancy, scotian. Cheers to you. I share many of your concerns about the state of the States, and even that Harper's article had the smell of meekness about it. Journalists feel cowed down there - a little less so since Katrina and the plummetting of Bushco's polling numbers - but they remain meek in their voices, nonetheless.

A couple of days ago, I had the opportunity to talk with an old j-school colleague who has become an excellent broadcaster for the a major Canadian network. I'd best not name him, but he works in Toronto these days. Anyway, I was a bit taken aback when he told me his dream is to work in TV news in the States. Didn't he know how compromised they all are down there, I asked? Not an issue when you have an exponentially larger budget for each piece, he replied.

I told him I hope he doesn't get his wish (for our sakes as media consumers, I said, but really I was more worried for him and his so-far sterling reputation for balance and integrity.)

Tue Sep 27, 01:00:00 AM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home